Self-Watering Herb Kit - Basil
The ultimate accessory for an inspired kitchen, Eco Planters take the guesswork out of gardening. This all-inclusive kit comes equipped with everything you’ll need to start growing organic basil, and features a glass canning jar, wick, stainless steel net pot and earth-friendly growing medium. Outfitted with a passive hydroponic system that provides the perfect balance of air, water and nutrients.
- Size: 8” h x 4” w (liter jar) -- Weight: 1lb 6oz
- Basil seeds take 7-14 days to sprout, and will be ready to start harvesting in 2+ months. Continuous harvesting will encourage a bushy plant and greater yield.
- A basil plant will continue to grow with sufficient nutrients and light; however, after time it will develop a woody stem and the leaves will become a bit bitter.
- Herbs require at least 6 hours of direct light daily, and should be put in an unobstructed window that faces south, west or east (southwest is the best option). During winter months—or if you don’t have an unobstructed window—you can supplement with a grow light.
- Eco Planters are designed for indoor use, but can be put outside. Be mindful that the planter does not have a drain hole, and if the reservoir floods it may drown the roots. Bring your Garden Jar inside if temps dip below 55� or above 80�.
- The stainless steel net pot and recycled glass grow medium can both be reused—simply rinse with hot water. Add new seeds and use soil or coco pith to help seeds germinate. Use a water soluble fertilizer and follow its instructions.
- Passive hydroponics is a method of growing plants without soil. A combination of an inert porous growing medium and a wick transports water and nutrients to the plant roots via capillary action. The nutrient solution (water and fertilizer) are held in a reservoir and taken up as needed, providing the perfect balance of water to oxygen.