Fluffiest Cacao Pancakes
Whip up some fluffy cacao pancakes for a quick and delicious breakfast.
- ¾ C + 1 Tbsp milk
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 C all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp butter (melted)
- Coconut oil or butter for greasing
- Combine milk and vinegar in medium bowl, set aside.
- Whisk flour, cacao powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together in medium bowl until well combined. (make sure there are no lumps of cacao powder)
- Mix egg and melted butter into “soured” milk until well combined.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and grease with coconut oil.
- Pour about a ¼ cup of batter for each pancake and cook until you see small bubbles on the surface. Flip and cook until golden brown on each side.
*Tips for better pancakes:
- Don’t overmix the batter, gluten starts forming as soon as the wet and dry ingredients touch.
- Lumpy batter is okay, you can let it rest while you heat the pan up or are preparing other breakfast items.
- Start with one pancake to test the pan’s heat, adjust the heat as necessary.
- When pouring the pancakes on the pan, let the pancakes spread by themselves. The pancake will look thick but you’ll get fluffier pancakes this way. Thinner, tougher pancakes have more surface area and less air in them.
- Don’t press the pancakes down when you flip them (you’ll lose all the air inside and will get tough cakes)
- Recipe adapted from here! A special thanks to Kris!