Sikil Pak (dip!)
- 12 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 habanero pepper
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 C. hulled pumpkin seeds
- Himalayan salt
- Zest of 2 limes
- Juice of 2 limes
- ¾ C. fresh cilantro
1. Simmer tomatoes and a few pinches of salt over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Set aside.
2. Without washing the pan, add onions, habanero pepper, butter and a few pinches of salt. Cook and toss over medium-low heat until onions are soft, translucent and yellowish in color. Set aside.
3. Without washing pan, toast pumpkin seeds with a few pinches of salt in pan over low heat. Toss frequently, you want to lightly toast the seeds until they’re just slightly golden brown. Set aside.
4. Blend/grind pumpkin seeds in food processor until they are coarse and stick to sides of bowl.
5. Add tomatoes, onions, half of the habanero pepper (use full pepper for a spicier dip), lime zest, lime juice and cilantro to processor. Pulse until well combined. Salt to taste.
6. Serve immediately, can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 3 days.