Super creamy & sweet with a bit of tanginess. A perfect spring/summer afternoon treat.
- 2 Tbsp lime zest
- 1/4 C lime juice
- 1/4 C dried hibiscus flowers
- 1 C water
- 1 1/4 C sugar
- 2 C whole milk
- 2 C heavy cream
- 4-6 egg yolks
- Mix lime zest, lime juice, hibiscus flowers, water and ¼ c sugar into small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce down to about ½ C, about 5-10 minutes and strain. Mixture will be syrupy, but not too thick. If you reduce a little too much just add water to make ½ C. Set aside to cool.
- Mix milk, heavy cream and ½ C sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat until just boiling. Remove from heat and set aside to cool off.
- Beat egg yolks with remaining ½ C sugar until heavy, pale and smooth.
- Pour a little (about a cup) of the milk mixture into the eggs and whisk until smooth. You don’t want the mixture too hot or it will scramble the eggs.
- Pour egg mixture into milk mixture and return to low heat. Stir occasionally until mixture is 165 degrees. Don’t heat above 180 degrees or it will cook the eggs. The mixture should be slightly thickened and coat the back of a spoon, if you blow on the spoon you should see small ripples.
- Pour custard base into an airtight container, mix in hibiscus lime syrup until well blended, cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours. Use base within 5 days.
- When mixture is completely chilled you can use it in an ice cream maker. Follow your ice cream maker instructions to finish the ice cream.
Recipe adapted from Coolhaus’ Custard Base Recipe