We got a little machine that creates bubbly water and we've been experimenting! Here's a wonderfully refreshing take on your daily cup of yerba mate. Or, if you're new to mate, this is a mellow way to introduce yourself to these new flavors.
Yerba Mate Syrup
- 1/4 C. Yerba Mate
- 1 C. regular water (sparkling water to be added later in the recipe)
- 1/2 - 1 C. sugar (depending on how sweet you'd like the syrup to end up)
Yerba Mate Soda
- 1 liter sparkling water
- 1/2 C. Yerba Mate Syrup
- 1 swingtop glass bottle to store your soda
First, make the yerba mate syrup.
- Add the yerba mate syrup ingredients to a saucepan and mix together.
- Bring to a boil, mixing occasionally.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer into a heatproof container. Let cool.
Second, create your soda! You can modify how much syrup to add (less if you'd like it less sweet, more if you'd like it to be more concentrated).
- Add 1/2 C. yerba mate syrup to 1 liter of sparkling water. Mix gently.
- We store ours in a glass swingtop bottle to keep it bubbly. It won't last long, though!